Directorate of Manufacturing and Vision 2030
- State Department of Investment and Industry
- Hits: 4751
Headed by Mr. H.B. Okeyo
The role of the manufacturing sector in Vision 2030 is to create employment and wealth. The sectors overall goal in the MTP is to increase its contribution to the GDP by at least 10% per annum over the medium term period 2008 – 2012 as envisaged in the Vision 2030.
A number of interventions are proposed in the Vision and its first Medium Term Plan which will lead Kenya to be globally competitive and prosperous.The objectives to be pursued in the medium term period are:
- To strengthen the capacity and local content of domestically manufactured goods
- To increase the generation and utilization of Research and Development results
- To raise the share of products in the regional market from 7% to 15 %
- To develop niche products for existing and new markets
To achieve these objectives, a set of key target areas have been indentified and specific goals and targets set to steer industrial growth. These include the development of Special Economic Zones (SEZs), Industrial Parks, Industrial Clusters, promotion of small and medium scale manufacturing firms, development of niche products, commercialization of research and development results, attraction of strategic investors in strategic sectors, i.e. iron and steel industries, manufacture of fertilizer, agro-processing, machine tools and machinery, motor vehicle assembly and manufacture of spare parts.
To promote development in the target areas, projects are designed and implemented through a Public, Private, Partnership (PPP) framework.