Department of Industrial Information and Research
- State Department of Investment and Industry
- Hits: 4999
Headed by Amb Dr. Joseph K. Kiplagat
The Industrial Information is responsible for the Integration of all Industrial related Information and research and coordination of the development of Industrial Policies and Programmes. To enable it carry out its mandate effectively, the department is divided into two divisions namely Industrial Information and Research, and Policy and Programme Development. The following constitute functions of this department;
- To coordinate the development of industrialization policies and strategies
- To establish areas for development of industrial programs and projects
- To carry out resource surveys, undertake resource endowment mapping and propose opportunities for investment
- Collect, process, analyze, and disseminate industrial information
To perform these functions, the department pursues the following objectives;
- Establish a conducive policy and legal framework for Industrialization.
- Generate performance indicators for the industrial sector, to facilitate efficient and effective implementation of industrial projects and programs.
- Enhance the quality, availability and dissemination of the industrial information for rational decision making.
- Conduct research into areas that affect industrialization.
In an attempt to achieve its objectives the department is engaged in reviewing policies and regulatory frameworks to establish a conducive environment for industrialization, developing a framework for programs and projects on the areas that affect industrialization like tariffs, resource availability, infrastructure etc., benchmarking local industries to international standards for preparation of relevant programs and projects, and establishing of an Integrated Industrial Management System.
It is also involved in collecting and processing of timey quality industrial data, establishing of an integrated industrial information centre and establishment of a computerized industrial database in order to enhance the quality, availability and dissemination of the industrial information for rational decision making. The department is also engaged in preparation and undertaking research on product development, access to finance, tariffs, technology, market access and standardization in an effort to conduct research into areas that affect industrialization.
The department intends to focus on finalizing of the Industrialization Policy, participating in the finalization of the Census of Industrial Production (CIP), preparation of Technology Inventory and establishing of an Integrated Industrial Management Systems as critical activities for implementation before the end of June this year.