Vision 2030 Manufacturing Sector
The role of the manufacturing sector in Vision 2030 is to create employment and wealth. The sectors overall goal in the MTP is to increase its contribution to the GDP by at least 10% per annum as envisaged in the Vision 2030.
A number of interventions are proposed in the Vision which will lead Kenya to be globally competitive and prosperous. The objectives to be pursued are:
- To strengthen the capacity and local content of domestically manufactured goods
- To increase the generation and utilization of Research and Development results
- To raise the share of products in the regional market from 7% to 15 %
- To develop niche products for existing and new markets
To achieve these objectives, a set of key target areas have been identified and specific goals and targets set to steer industrial growth. These include:
- Development of the iron and Steel Industry through establishment of an Integrated Steel Mill
- Development of Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Parks, Industrial and Technology Parks, Industrial Manufacturing Clusters,
- Upgrading of products from small and medium enterprises
- Skills Development for the Technical Human Resource for the Manufacturing Sector
- Commercialization of research and development results, attraction of strategic investors in strategic sectors i.e. iron and steel industries, agro-processing, machine tools and machinery, motor vehicle assembly and manufacture of spare parts.