Administration & Support Services
The Administration and Support Services is headed by the Secretary of Administration. It is made up of various units that provide specialized support services for the optimum operations of the technical directorates. It also provides centralized services concerned with the coordination, organization, and management of administrative services within the State Department.
The Department of Human Resource & Development is responsible for the following :
- Formulating and implementing Human Resource Plans,
- Overseeing Employee recruitment and Selection,
- Handling Employee deployment/placement,
- Administration and Management of Employee Benefits,
- Overseeing employee Promotions and Appointments,
- Managing Staff Discipline,
- Managing Employee relations matters in the State department,
- Coordinating employee Communication,
- Management of Staff welfare and Coordinating Separation/Retirement Benefits.
The department implements the following Strategic Intentions:
i. Implementation of the Human Resource management policies, rules and regulations
ii. Advising the authorized officer on delegated powers and ensuring their proper implementation
iii. Maintaining professional Human Resource Management standards
iv. Advising on succession management and Human Resource planning/utilization
v. Interpretation of labour laws and other statutes that relate to Human Resource management
vi. Direction and co-ordination of Human Resource Management Programmes
vii. Complement control and Establishment issues through IPPD/UHR Database
viii. Facilitate necessary approvals and /or feedback for the Directorate;
ix.Ensure the resources are available for the achievement of the agreed performance targets and;
x.Timely communication of government policies, guidelines and regulations
xi.The Department also undertakes to submit quarterly and annual performance reports in the prescribed format in conformity with the Performance Contracts’ guidelines.
Other functions of the department includes:
(I) Staff remuneration-Payroll Administration
(II) Preparation of the Personnel Emoluments(PE) budget
(III) Competency Development-Training of staff
(IV) Facilitate transfer of skills to the youth through Industrial Attachment & Internship
(V) Preparation of Human Resource Management Committee(HRMAC) Agenda and Minutes and coordination of the HRMAC monthly meetings
(VI) Management of Pension Matters
(VII)Reconstitution and operationalizing HIV&AIDS Unit
Responsible for the management and coordination of the Supply Chain Management Services function
Develops and implements internal audit programs, plans, strategies, and schedules
The Department was established to ensure the implementation of national development goals. Its mandate is to provide advice on the planning process, policy formulation and monitoring and evaluation to ensure national development goals are realized. The mandate of the directorate was expanded to include monitoring and evaluation of all government and donor-funded projects in 2005 vide a Secretary to the Cabinet and Head of Civil Service Circular of 7th July 2005.
The State Department for Economic Planning deploys Economists/Statisticians to the CPPMDs. The CPPMDs act on behalf of the State Department For Economic Planning.
- Providing technical advice on planning, economic and statistical issues on the formulation and setting of policies on manufacturing and industrial development;
- Undertaking Monitoring and Evaluation of policies, programmes and projects under Industry and ensuring their timely, efficient and effective implementation;
- Provision of technical input and support in the preparation of Medium Term Expenditure Frame Work (MTEF) budget and its implementation;
- Coordinating the preparation, negotiation and vetting of the State Department’s and its Agencies’ Performance Contracts;
- Coordinating formulation, implementation and review of Medium Term Plans and Manufacturing Sector Plans under Kenya Vision 2030;
- Developing, coordinating, implementing and reporting on Ministerial and State Department’s Strategic Plan and Annual Work Plans;
- Coordinating the formulation, implementation and review of national and sectoral development plans, policies and strategies;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting progress on implementation of the national development blueprints, policies, programmes and projects;
- Uploading, updating in formation and generating Ministry/State Department projects/programmes’ reports in the Electronic National Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation System (e-NIMES);
- Conducting sector-specific economic analysis and research on topical and emerging socio-economic issues to inform policy formulation and planning;
- Preparing periodic sector-specific progress reports and ensuring compliance with public investment management guidelines;
- Updating and maintaining knowledge management repository; and
- Coordinating implementation of international commitments and regional integration issues including sustainable development goals and African agenda 2063 and economic partnerships.
Responsible for the management and coordination of the Finance and Budgeting function
Responsible for the management and coordination of the accounting function
Management and coordination of the ICT function in the State Department.
The core mandate of the ICT Unit is to make the State Department result-oriented, efficient and citizen-centered through providing high-quality customer focused Information Technology services and solutions to actualize on its mandate
1. Setting up IT strategies in the department in line with ICTA.
2. Support the implementation of different ICT Systems in the State Department.
3. Prepare strategic and operational plans for the ICT unit to ensure that all necessary ICT tools, processes and systems are in place to meet the State Department's requirements.
4. Improve and maintain ICT infrastructure in the State Department.
5. Provide support related to ICT capacity building.
6. Manage ICT use and security issues in a comprehensive and coordinated way.
7. To provide user support and ICT Equipment Maintenance.
8. Develop and maintain ICT Business Continuity Plans
9. Enforce and implement e-Government standards and procedures developed by ICT Authority
10. Champion adoption Green ICT.
11. Improves interaction with stakeholders, internal and external customers through use of ICT
12. Develop and manage the ICT plan and budgeting for the ICT services to ensure that adequately used to yield better services.
13. Leverage on ICT to foster innovation for business processes.
14. Ensure that the Department’ IT assets are safeguarded and properly maintained in good working condition.
Management and coordination of legal services in the State Department including advising on all matters of corporate governance, regulation, and managing litigations. Specifically these includes:
i. Identify areas that require review of legislation in relation to Ministry functions in consultation with the relevant department, section or unit
ii. Draft subsidiary legislation, e.g. orders, regulations, gazette notices, notices of appointment and revoking of appointment
iii. Liaises with the AG's office on legislation relating to the Ministry
iv. Draft bi-lateral agreements
v. Guide in drafting of contracts between Ministry and service providers
vi. Liaises with the AG's office especially on contracts that have considerable financial impact
vii. Vetting all Contracts, Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding
viii.Provision of legal advice on international financial agreements resulting in/forming part of government transactions;
ix. Advise MDAs on implementation of contracts to which Government is a party or to which the Government has interest;
x. Drafting of principal and subsidiary legislations that touch on the Ministry’s functions;
xi.Co-ordinating and liaising with the Attorney Generals Chambers on court representations and on various aspects
xii.Drafting and vetting of leases in respect of Ministry’s premises
Management and coordination of public communications and public relations functions.