Research, Manufacturing & Industrialization Policy
The Directorate of Research, Manufacturing, and Industrialization Policy is responsible for the Integration of all Industrial related Information, research and coordination of the development of Industrial Policies and Programmes. To enable it to carry out its mandate effectively, the directorate is divided into two divisions namely Industrial Information and Research, and Manufacturing and Industrialization Policy. The following constitute functions of this directorate;
- To coordinate the development of industrialization policies and strategies
- To validate areas identified for the development of industrial programs and projects
- To facilitate efficient and effective implementation of industrial programs and projects
- Collect, process, analyze, and disseminate industrial information
- Provide a platform for Academia, Research Institutions, Industry and Government
- Track innovations for commercialization
- Establish a conducive policy and legal framework for Industrialization.
- Generate performance indicators for the industrial sector
- Conduct, champion and coordinate research into areas that affect industrialization.
- Process application for exemptions on taxes of raw materials and capital goods for manufacturing.
- Carry out assessment for the provision of AGOA certificates to manufacturers exporting to the USA market.
- The Directorate participate in the Regional (EAC, COMESA, and AfCFTA) meetings inorder to increase market access for Kenyan manufactured products.
- Assess and Evaluate the Environmental Impact Assessments Reports for industries. For more information on EIA visit NEMA website here...
- Processing of Pre Export Verification on conformity (PVoC) applications and submit to Kenya Bureau of Standards (KeBS) for evaluation. For more information click here ...
In an attempt to achieve its objectives, the department is engaged in reviewing policies and regulatory frameworks to establish a conducive environment for industrialization, developing a framework for programs and projects on the areas that affect industrialization like tariffs, resource availability, infrastructure, etc., benchmarking local industries to international standards for preparation of relevant programs and projects, and establishing of an Integrated Industrial Management System.
It is also involved in collecting and processing timely quality industrial data, establishing an integrated industrial information center, and establishment of a computerized industrial database in order to enhance the quality, availability, and dissemination of industrial information for rational decision-making. The department is also engaged in preparation and undertaking research on product development, access to finance, tariffs, technology, market access, and standardization in an effort to conduct research into areas that affect industrialization.
The department intends to focus on finalizing the Industrialization Policy, participating in the finalization of the Census of Industrial Production (CIP), preparing of Technology Inventory, and establishing Integrated Industrial Management Systems as critical activities for implementation before the end of June this year.